Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars in Colour 1796–1814
Philip Haythornthwaite, Jack Cassin-Scott
The Napoleonic Wars were the dominating economic and political event in Europe in the early nineteenth century, and had far-reaching consequences. The great battles of this period – Marengo, Hohenlinden, Austerlitz, Jena, Corunna, and those of the Russian Campaign – are handsomely evoked in the pages of this book.
For the armies involved, these battles presented the ideal opportunity of expressing their national pride in some of the most splendid and colourful uniforms which, for sheer panache and elaborate decoration, have never been equalled.
This book illustrates and describes the uniforms of more than fifteen European armies in the 80 pages of magnificent full-colour plates by Jack Cassin-Scott. John Fabb, whose family have supplied ceremonial regalia and accoutrements to the armies of Europe for over a century, has provided references for the illustrations which cover the main features of every uniform. Detailed drawings of arms, headgear, saddlery and other accessories in use during the period are also included. There is a comprehensive text by Philip J. Haythornthwaite, which gives important data on the history and dress of every regiment; and there is a Historical Introduction to the conflict.
Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars is the perfect guide for anyone who is interested in the study or the construction of model soldiers of this particular period, and a special feature is an Appendix on the Order of Battle of the Grande Armée, 1812.
- Title: Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars in Colour 1796–1814
- Period: French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars
- Type: Uniformology
- Author: Philip Haythornthwaite
- Illustrator: Jack Cassin-Scott
- Format: 196-page Book with 175 Colour Illustrations
- Language: English
- Publisher: Blandford Press Ltd., Poole, Dorset
- ISBN: 0713705728
- Published: 1977
- Historical Introduction, The French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars 1792–1814, 13 pages
- Military Uniforms and Weapons of the Napoleonic Wars, 14 pages
- Introduction to the Colour Plates, 1 page
- The Plates, 80 pages
- Descriptions of the Colour Plates, 31 pages
- Sources of Information for the Illustrations, 2 pages
- Glossary, 2 pages
- Appendix, The Grande Armée 1812 – Ordre of Battle, 9 pages
- List of Uniforms by Nationality, 4 pages
- List of Uniforms by Arm of Service, 3 pages
Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars is a comprehensive resource for figure painters, diorama builders, and wargamers interested in raising miniature armies for this period of warfare. The Order of Battle included in the appendix list battalions and squadrons of the brigades of the Grande Armée which invaded Russia in 1812. Actual divisional strengths are not listed, nor is there an Order of Battle of the Russian Army of 1812.