Violet, the colour of the spectrum whose rays are refracted the most. Besides ultraviolet, which lies beyond violet in the spectrum but is not visible under ordinary conditions, violet exerts the strongest photographic effect. Violet dyes are often mixtures of blue and red, but pure violet coal tar dyes are also known and violet fabrics are most often produced with these, less so with madder, alkanna, logwood, orseille, etc.
Alexander the Great and his companion cavalry (hetairoi) are often depicted in purple tunics and purple military cloaks. Roman senators wore white togas trimmed purple (red violet). The purple toga, on the other hand, was reserved for Roman emperors and triumphators. The rich, the aristocratic, and leading military figures, despite some regulations, liked to wear red violet chlamys and paludamentum.
Violet was the facing colour of the Spanish Regimiento de Rey, the French infantry regiments Auvergne and Belsunce, as well as the pompom colour of the 4th company of the infantry battalion and the 4th squadron of cavalry of the French Army of the Napoleonic Wars, as well as its Italian and Neapolitan allies.
Single Pigment Colours
A small overview of violet (PV) single pigment colours suitable for miniatures, models, and dioramas.
- Brilliant Violet (PV 23 dioxazine), Academy Acryl 23.440
- Ultramarine Violet (PV 15, translucent), Golden Artist Colors 1401
- Quinacridone Violet (PV 19, semi-opaque), Golden Acrylic 2330
- Ultramarine Violet (PV 15, semi-translucent), Golden Fluid Acrylic 2401
- Quinacridone Blue Violet (PV 19, translucent), Liquitex 118
- Permanent Violet (PV 23, semi-opaque), Lucas CRYL STUDIO 4732
- Quinacridone Violett (PV 19 quinacridone, translucent), PRIMAcryl 13.328
- Glaze Violet (PV 23 dioxazine, translucent), PRIMAcryl 13.330
- Blue Violet (PV 23), Talens Art Creation 568
Mixed Pigment Colours
- Violet, A-MIG-126
- Red Violet (translucent), Amsterdam Acrylic 567
- Violet, Humbrol 42
- Royal Purple, Humbrol MC26
- Violet (opaque), Kreul 75.534
- Violet (PV 23, PR 122, opaque), Lascaux Resonance Gouache 531
- Prism Violet (PV 23, PR 12, translucent), Liquitex 391
- Light Blue Violet (PB 29, PW 6, opaque), Liquitex 680
- Muted Violet (PV 23, PB 15:3, PR 206, opaque), Liquitex 502
- Blue Violet, Plaka 33
- Blue Violet (PV 23, PV 19, PW 6, deckend), PRIMAcryl 13.329
- Red Violet light (PV 19, PW 6), Talens Art Creation 577
- Red Violet (PV 19, PV 23), Talens Art Creation 567
Source: Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon, 6. Auflage 1905–1909