Cavalry Squadron of the Upper Rhenish Circle, Seven Years’ War, 1756–1763

Cavalry Squadron of the Upper Rhenish Circle during the Seven Years’ War, 1756–1763, 1:300 Miniatures Heroics & Ros.

The Oberrheinische Kreis-Eskadron was established in 1702 with a strength of 150 troopers. When the palatinal army was reduced in 1745, the squadron was incorporated into Reiter-Regiment Graf Elliot de Morhange. Raised again in 1754 with a strength of 174 troopers, the squadron joined the 2nd and 3rd squadron of Reiter-Regiment Zweibrücken to form the Palatinal Cuirassiers for the duration of the Seven Years’ War.

The troopers of the cavalry squadron of the Upper Rhenish Circle shown here are 1:300 scale Austrian Dragoons by Heroics & Ros. Austrian dragoon figures may be used, because palatinal cavalry troopers stopped wearing the cuirass after the War of Spanish Succession.






  • Oberamt Oppenheim, 1712 –


  • Regimentsstab (regimental staff)
    • Oberst (colonel)
    • Oberstlieutenant (lieutenant-colonel)
    • Oberstwachtmeister (major)
    • Regiments-Quartiermeister (regimental quartermaster)
    • Auditor (auditor)
    • Feldkaplan (field chaplain)
    • Adjutant
    • Regimentsfeldscherer (regimental surgeon)
    • Wagenmeister (wagon master)
    • Profos und Steckenknecht
  • 1. Kompanie (54 men, 54 horses)
  • 2. Kompanie (54 men, 54 horses)
  • 3. Kompanie (54 men, 54 horses)


On 1 Juli 1754, the Oberrheinische Kreis-Eskadron was re-established from three companies, Kompanie Graf Wittgenstein, von Schmid and von Helmstädt, of the Palatinal Leib-Dragonerregiment Frau Kurfürstin von der Pfalz. These men continued to wear their red Leib-Dragoner uniforms with red facings, at least until the uniforms had worn out and were to be replaced by regulation cavalry uniforms of the Oberrheinische Kreis-Eskadron. Accordingly, wargamers and diorama builders may depict the Oberrheinische Kreis-Eskadron in red dragoon uniforms during the early part of the Seven Years’ War.

  • white coat with 12 white metal buttons
  • light blue collar
  • light blue cuffs with white metal buttons
  • light blue turnbacks
  • white-blue aiguillette at the right shoulder
  • silver aiguillette for officers
  • black stock with white lace
  • straw-coloured vest with white metal buttons
  • straw-coloured breeches
  • white boot cuffs and tall black riding boots for mounted service
  • black tricorne hat, black cockade, white-blue side-pompoms
  • silver hat border for officers
  • light blue chabraque with white border
  • black pistol holsters, and light blue holster covers with white border
  • light blue square valise with white border

Campaign History


  • Reiter-Regiment Pfalzgraf Max, 1770
  • Reiter-Regiment Prinz Max, 1777
  • 2. Kürassier-Regiment von Winckelhausen, 1790
  • 4. Chevauleger-Regiment, 1799
  • 1. Chevauleger-Regiment Kurfürst, 1799
  • 2. Chevauleger-Regiment Kurfürst, 1804
  • 2. Chevauleger-Regiment König, 1806
  • 4. Chevauleger-Regiment König, 1811
  • 17. (Bayerisches) Reiter-Regiment, Ausbildungs-Eskadron, 1921

In 1770, the Oberrheinische Kreis-Eskadron was incorporated into Reiter-Regiment Pfalzgraf Max. Converted to a chevauleger regiment in 1799, the unit was named 4th Bavarian Chevauleger-Regiment König in 1811. In 1920, the regiment became the training squadron of the 17th (Bavarian) Reiter-Regiment of the German Reichswehr.

Upper Rhenish Circle of the Imperial Army